Sunday, March 11, 2018

Bringing New Life To Old Crayons

I've been saving an entire plastic storage container of broken crayons since my classroom days. I really wanted to melt them down and make new crayons with them, but was a bit worried they would be harder than I thought. I pictured melted wax all over my kitchen resembling the random crayons left in my car during the hot Texas summers. Like little puddles of miniature colored snowmen that got too much sun.


We started by sorting our crayons. We have been talking a lot about rainbows and my youngest is still learning the colors, so this was a great way to incorporate those skills. He wasn't the best sorter, but my daughter was a huge help! We put each color into a clear plastic cup, and they played while I peeled and chopped the crayons. This was by far the longest part, but slicing the label with a box cutter (since I couldn't find my craft knife) made the process much faster.


Once we had all the crayons chopped the kids helped fill the silicone mold. There were six spaces for each of the four shapes, so this mold was perfect for making all of our colors!


Once all of our crayons were in, we (carefully!) moved the mold to a cookie sheet. It definitely would have been smarter to do this first.


We set the oven on 200 degrees and baked them maybe 20 minutes. We checked them often and ended up adding a few more pieces to each section as they melted. It went so much faster than I thought it would!


We pulled them out as soon as they looked fairly melted. I wanted the "chunky" look with different shades of each color. We took them out and let them cool for about an hour and a half. I definitely should have let them cool a little longer, since they still felt warm and a few of them came out less than perfect, but I was really impatient to see the results!


They still came out so much easier than I thought they would! The kids loved seeing the results. and couldn't wait to use them! We put them in this fun box we found and plan on taking them camping with us over St. Patrick's Day!


Have you ever made recycled crayons? What is your favorite tip for making them fun and easy?

1 comment:

  1. I think other website proprietors should take this website as an model, very clean and fantastic user genial style and design, as well as the content. You are an expert in this topic! visit here

    ReplyDelete

How To Create A Pumpkin Stand For Dramatic

 We love dramatic play. It's one of our favorite activities. One of the best things we did this year was create a pumpkin patch. Natural...